La Cipollina Recipe
yields 4 servings
- 4 Large Artichokes
- Chicken Stock
- White Wine
- Whole Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Pancetta chopped finely
- Pignoli Nuts
- Parsley- flat leaf
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1 sauté pan
- 1 large sauce pot
- Rinse the artichokes, cut base of the stem off- do not throw away
- Trim the top points off of each artichoke
- Hold the artichoke on its side and slice off the very top-about 1"
- Peel stem of first hard layer
- Serving Plate
- Fill a large pot ¾ full with water and 2 ladle's of chicken stock; bring to a boil; blanch the artichokes for 8 minutes
- Saute garlic in olive oil, until golden brown
- Place the bread crumbs in a large bowl and pour the olive oil and garlic into the breadcrumbs. Add finely chopped parsley, Parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper.
- Toast pine nuts, until golden brown. Finely chop the nuts and add to bread crumbs
- Sauté pancetta in olive oil, then add to bread crumbs
- Finely chop the artichoke stems, and then add to bread crumbs.
- Begin stuffing the artichoke from the bottom of the artichoke by holding a leaf back.
- Once finished stuffing artichokes, place in a large sauce pot.
- Fill sauce pot with 1 cup of white wine, and 3 ladels of the blanching broth.
- Cover the pot and let simmer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes have passed, baste the artichoke, every 30 minutes for 1.5 hours
- Serve the artichoke on a large plate.
- Serve a side bowl for the leafs.